Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Thoreau on Blogging

This morning I thought, gosh, I'm overdue for a blog post. But there isn't anything I really want to write about this morning. So I thought I'd flip through Thoreau because we could all use a little more Thoreau, and lo and behold, he speaks to the blogger's dilemma!

Do nothing merely out of good resolutions. Discipline yourself only to yield to love; suffer yourself to be attracted. It is in vain to write on chosen themes. We must wait till they have kindled a flame in our minds. There must be the copulating and generating force of love behind every effort destined to be successful. The cold resolve gives birth to, begets, nothing. The theme seeks me, not I it.

January 30th, 1852

So there you have it. I'm off the hook, and I got to type the word copulating. Rrreoww.

3 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Very interesting quote. Have you always been into Thoreau, or is this a recent thing?

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

I've loved Thoreau since I was 19 and visited Walden Pond with my American Lit class. His writing is sublime. Even an off-the-cuff diary entry like that one arrests you with it's sincerity and it's subversive tone. Got to love Thoreau!

Scott said...

Does he have any thoughts on the new Facebook layout?