Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The 25th Week

I am dead tired! I've been battling a cold this week, and today was an especially busy day. We had our January check-up with the OB, did some grocery shopping, and started our registry.

The doctor's appointment was brief and uneventful. My OB has remarked that my pregnancy is "boring" and it really shows in the way her demeanor toward me has changed. In the early weeks, when we were still concerned about my history and my SCH, she would actually sit to talk to me, she always had a grave look on her face, and she never seemed in a hurry. But now that Remy is doing so brilliantly she breezes in, cheerfully reads over my chart, checks a couple of things, asks if I have any questions, and breezes back out again. It's refreshing leaving a doctor's office without a single inkling of dread...and yet weirdly anti-climactic.

Even in her breezy mode she's still rather severe. (Did I mention her comment, "caffeine kills babies"? Yup, that's what she told me in the first trimester.) Today she told me I could treat my cold with Tylenol and cough drops, but NO antihistamines or decongestants. It's a little frustrating since I know that other women's OBs let them use that stuff, but on the other hand, I really do appreciate having a doctor that worries more about things than I do.

Later in the afternoon we headed over to Babies R Us. We had a 20% Off coupon that was about to expire and we wanted to get a JJ Cole diaper bag. My brother and sister-in-law have one and really like it. It's super comfortable to carry, comes with gear to attach it to your stroller, has lots of compartments and pockets, and is awesomely unisex.

Even though we'd been planning on waiting until February to register we figured this was close enough and we might as well get started. Ug, and that is what we spent the rest of the day doing. It's a lot of work, registering for baby stuff!

Especially problematic is Ross's phobia of furniture. I think he has PTSD from helping too many bachelor friends move over the years. He absolutely balked when it came time to pick out a dresser. He kept trying to lift them at the corners and exclaiming, "do you realize how heavy this is???" So we registered for a changing table instead which we will stock with baskets for storage. Oy vey.

At first he was equally opposed to a glider. But then I got him to sit in one for a few minutes and he warmed up to the idea :P The other tricky choices were the travel system and the pack n play. We made total fools of ourselves pulling the display models down off the shelves and playing with all the features, but in the end I felt a lot more confident making a choice that way.

After registering for about 6 pages of items we were thirsty and tired (and I was sick of continually having to hoist up my maternity pants in public) so we decided to save the rest for another day.

Here's how baby is doing, according to babycenter.com:

Head to heels, your baby now measures about 13 1/2 inches. Her weight — a pound and a half — isn't much more than an average rutabaga, but she's beginning to exchange her long, lean look for some baby fat. As she does, her wrinkled skin will begin to smooth out and she'll start to look more and more like a newborn. She's also growing more hair — and if you could see it, you'd now be able to discern its color and texture.

1 comment:

Andy said...

I'm glad your doctor isn't scaring you to death. Heaven knows you'll worry enough anyway. Is the name Remy growing on us because it's really a cool name or because we're attaching it to someone special>