Saturday, January 09, 2010

Pregnancy Update

I am 22 weeks, 2 days pregnant with just 17 weeks, 5 days to go!

This morning I was shocked out of sleep by the dreaded "pregnant lady leg cramp." Wowza!!! I thought maybe my leg was going into labor! I hope it never happens in public because I'm a screamer and I WILL make a fool of myself. Luckily it only lasted about two minutes but now my poor leg feels exhausted. I will definitely be doing some gentle stretching before bed tonight and I hope that helps.

I have a few major gripes this week. 1) Sleep. Or lack thereof. I have to wake up every couple of hours to switch sides because my hips start to burn and my arms fall asleep. I am VERY glad that I have given up caffeine or I'm sure it would be worse. 2) Weight. I was doing alright in this department but then the holidays hit and I gained 10 lbs in a month. I am hoping that now that the Christmas cookies and candy are gone the weight gain will slow down. 3) Yeast infection. (Sorry if that's tmi, just keepin' it real.) In the past I've known to be on the lookout for a YI if I'm on antibiotics, which I'm not, so this one kind of caught me by surprise. Now I know that they are common in pregnancy and in fact the odds are good I'll have more by the time Remy comes. (((sigh)))

In other physiological news, my belly button looks like it's considering a transition from inny to outty. It's not there yet, but it has gotten very shallow and, with a well placed poke, actually pops out. Also, the skin around my belly button is getting darker. I'm wondering if that is the beginning of stretch marks. My linea nigra continues to darken. Whenever I go into the bathroom I take a second to pull up my shirt and check out my belly. The morphing never ceases to amaze me!

Remy seems to be doing great! I really notice him being active in the morning for an hour or two after I get up and again at the end of the day before bed. I love being able to feel him and it's made me much less anxious. Even though now I have his shifting, somersaulting and kicking to let me know he's okay, I still break out the fetal doppler every couple of days just for the joy of hearing his heartbeat and the sound of his hands and feet swishing around in there.

Ross has started talking to him. This is very sweet...but also kinda awkward. It's just odd having your husband lean over you and speak to your belly in his best talking-to-the-cat voice. People are encouraging me to talk to Remy too. I have been talking to him for a long time, but mostly in whispers and thoughts, and the transition is tricky. It's not like I can put my mouth next to my belly like Ross can, and I don't want to shout at the poor boy! I like to pat and rub my belly where he is lying but I doubt that with all the padding he notices that. I just can't wait to cradle him in my arms and talk to him face to face.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm so glad things are going well (not the YI part but you got to take the the bad with the good sometimes).

Let the uninvited advice begin: Nothing big but just wanted to let you know that one thing that helped me when my legs got achy after a long day of work and helped keep leg cramps at bay was this: mix a little icy hot/bengay with any regular lotion and rub it on your legs before bed. Not only does it feel AMAZING but it helps the muscles relax before bed.

Steve and Sara said...

Hey Kim!
Leg cramps are the WORST! First don't stretch before bed, because that tends to bring them on.. or so the internet told me. Also, when you're asleep and do stretch because you're sore, stretch with your toes pointing up (instead of pointing them). That will help with not bringing them on ;) Hope it helps!

Isn't belly talking so fun? Steve does it too, and I'm like "what are you going?" LOL. It's cute though too at the same time. So I know what ya mean!