Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pregnancy Update

I feel like I've been running into walls all week. I am so frustrated by my inability to get more than two and a half hours of sleep at a time, to wash the dishes without getting an excruciating back ache, and to eat a full dinner without getting a hair raising case of heartburn... I've also resumed my old habit of crying at the drop of a hat. In fact, I feel in a lot of ways like I am returning to the first trimester, only with a much more noticeable passenger on board.

Now that the second trimester is almost over I would have to say that this period of pregnancy has been a lot like climbing out of a valley, spending a few glorious weeks at the top of the mountain, and then descending down into the next valley. Of course, I don't know how much of this difficulty is caused by the pregnancy and how much is the fibromyalgia. So maybe in a week or two I'll be seeing things differently.

Remy is doing awesome. He spends most of his time transverse, laying on his side, which would be the WRONG way to come out -- but last week for the first time I felt him get into the proper head down, feet up position. Now I know that he can do it and I hope he practices a lot more before the big day!

He's also had a couple of brief cases of the hiccups. It's nice to know that his diaphragm is doing its thing. According to his lungs are "immature" but capable of working if he was to be born this week.

I had the glucose challenge test last week. The test itself wasn't so bad, what was annoying was watching the technicians try to figure out how to bill me. The first time they told me it was going to be $396. Then, when they tried to run my card, the system cancelled the transaction (thank God!) and then another technician tried it an hour later and told me it was only $90-something dollars. Whew. But it makes me wonder about the last two times I was in there...

Anyway, I drank the sugary drink (which was fine at first but started to burn my throat a little by the end), sat in the waiting room for an hour with a sleeping husband, they drew my blood, I paid my bill, and that was that. Got my test results on Tuesday and everything was normal.

My next doctors visit is Thursday and I think after that I will be going in every two weeks. We still haven't painted the nursery, so that is at the top of my to-do list. Ross's mom is coming out for the family shower in April and since the nursery doubles as the guest room I want to have it all finished up by then. In other news, Ross interviewed with a local video game studio last week and we should hear something back tomorrow. I'm praying for good news! (And blessed insurance!)


Steve and Sara said...

So sorry about entering the 3rd trimester Kim. I mean I'm happy for you, but sad because the 2nd trimester is so much more fun!

The sleepless nights just prepare you for baby getting up every 2-3 hours. If it's not heartburn, it's having to pee, if it's not that, it's back ache. I remember with Lee and Elsie, crying to Steve numerous times because I would have in my head "I can get 3 loads of laundry done, dishes AND make dinner" and I'd get none of those accomplished. I felt like something was wrong with me, but know this... it does go back to normal after you have the baby.

I slept from about midnight/1am to 4 am. Then I'd nap with Lee from noon - 3pm. That was about all the sleep I was getting, so don't stress if you think you're not getting enough. I was really worried until I started talking to some other pregnant people and that made me feel better knowing they didn't sleep anymore than I did.

Hang in there! You're more than half way done! Remy will be here before you know it and you'll miss being pregnant ;) I promise... you forget and do miss it!!

Lauren said...

Sara's right... it totally goes away once he comes. Like, immediately. Other friends with kids told me that and I tried to believe it, to hold on to the thought that there was an end in sight for the heartburn and achy hips/legs while sleeping and as soon as he was born I had no more heartburn, etc.
I can't commiserate on the sleep though because despite the aches that kept me switching position more often than normal, I slept a solid 9 hours a night throughout my pregnancy.
Only 3 mos. to go and we get to meet Remy!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Thank you guys, I needed to hear that! I read somewhere recently that the first three months of baby's life are like the fourth trimester and that freaked me out a little! This pregnancy already feels soooo long. But I see your precious little ones and I know the finish line is in sight! <3