Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm Okay, I'm Okay

So tomorrow it will have been a week since my surgery. I think I expected it to be more like a root canal than abdominal surgery...yeah, not so much like a root canal.

The "Surgery Center" was a little disconcerting. I felt like a car on an assembly line, except I was actually being disassembled. And then I woke up in terrible pain and my evil nurse kept telling me that she wasn't going to give me any pain medication until I started breathing more deeply, but I couldn't breath deeply because I felt like my lungs were being crushed by all the damn gas they had pumped into me. After several minutes of this I was shaking and crying (very embarrassing) and she says to me "you better stop acting like that or the drugs aren't even going to work." Excuse me, whuck??? "I am not acting like anything!" was the best I could do, but I should have asked to talk to her boss! Fortunately after that she went to lunch and my next two nurses were not sadists. By the time Ross came and picked me up I was feeling much better (yea, demerol.)

I have four small incisions, and they aren't that bad. The only one that actually bothers me is the one in my belly button and I think that is because my belly is still so loose from the pregnancy that it hangs and, you know, kinda swings a little (nice, right?), and that puts some tension on that incision. The real oucher was the gas they used to inflate the abdomen but I think that is finally gone now. For the last couple of days I have woken up feeling pretty normal, but by about dinner time and after being kneed or kicked in the belly a dozen times by my little buddy, I'm sore again.

I've had some digestive issues but the doctor told me to expect that and explained that in most cases it resolves within a few weeks. Last night I walked with Ross to the mailbox and it felt so good to get out of the house! Tonight I plan to go grocery shopping and buy some of that butter I've been thinking so much about!

No comments: