Monday, December 05, 2011

Remy Update

It's been one week since Remy failed his autism screening. This looms huge in my mind but I don't know how to talk about it. When I try to talk about it with Ross he cuts me off and says he doesn't want to "get ahead of things." I am talking about something that happened a week ago - how am I "ahead" of anything? ***grumble, grumble.*** To be fair though, I have danced with denial myself ever since I first read that description of autism in toddlers back in October so I understand how he feels. I just wish there was some way we could synchronize our phases of denial and our phases of stark realism so that it wasn't so lonely. 

And denial can be counterproductive. Urgency is sort of the name of the game with autism these days. They are screening earlier and earlier in their attempts to make the best possible progress against the disorder. This means that many of the little ones who are diagnosed will go on to have their diagnosis reversed. I am so glad that someone told me this, it is a beacon of hope. But it doesn't change the fact that we have to respond with the utmost seriousness to what the EI team is telling us.  We can't afford to keep waiting and hoping for some miraculous catch-up that doesn't happen.  
 
Remy is about the same but he continues to get better at please and pointing. This week I am filling out a packet and faxing it over to Tuoro University where they are going to do neuropsych testing, probably some time in February or March. I am reading more about food intolerances and how they can affect development. Still waiting to hear from the therapist who is going to be doing our home visits. I have to buy a binder soon since all of the reports and forms are starting to overflow Remy's medical folder. It's all a little surreal.   Anyway, that is where I am at today.


1 comment:

Steph said...

Hang in there Sister, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Remy is lucky to have such powerful parents as you are blessed to have him!