Friday, August 01, 2008

Pregnant!

I'm ten weeks pregnant! I was going to try to wait until I reached the second trimester to talk about it but I just couldn't. I think about it all day, so keeping it quite is just too much work :P So here's what's been going on with the pregnancy:

The earliest sign was fatigue that set in on June 21st. I thought I was getting sick but no sickness appeared, so on June 28th, when my cycle was about 3 days late, I bought two pregnancy tests. I couldn't test right away because Ross and I had plans to go see Wall-E, but when I cried at the previews I had a pretty good clue what the test was going to say.

When we got home from the movies I went straight to the bathroom with the tests and Ross went upstairs to check his email. He didn't stick around because he was sure I wasn't pregnant! The fist stick immediately displayed two pink lines. For a moment I just stared at it feeling as if the air had been sucked out of me. I didn't know what to do but I had another test so I immediately used it and this time the pregnancy line was even darker. I just started laughing. In that moment I was as joyful as if I'd been trying forever.

But the truth is we hadn't been trying at all, so in the next moment the joy was replaced by fear. I felt weak in the knees, and my head started spinning. For some reason I wandered to the kitchen and back to the bathroom before I remembered Ross. I had to tell him! I slowly climbed the stairs wondering how he would react. When I got to his office I just blurted out that I was pregnant.

He couldn't believe it at first so I took him downstairs to see both tests. For the next 24 hours we were a couple of people in shock. He kept saying "I can't believe you are pregnant" and I kept echoing "I can't believe I'm pregnant." We did manage to go pick up some prenatal vitamins that night and we got online and plugged in my cycle information to get an estimated due date of 3/3/08.

The shock wore off pretty quickly for me because I felt pregnant. Dizzy spells, hunger, cramps and, soon, morning sickness were all impossible to ignore. For Ross it was still a few weeks before he stopped saying "I can't believe you're pregnant." :P


Last week I had my first doctor's visit and it went great! I had an ultrasound and got to see the baby's heart beat. Based on the baby's size, I also got a new due date: 2/28/2009. They printed up a couple of images from the ultrasound and I'm convinced it is the most beautiful ultrasound ever!

If you look at the bottom of the dark jelly bean shaped area in the lower right hand side of the image you can see the baby nestled down there. The big round part on top is the head, the thing that appears to come out of the back is actually the umbilical cord which is coming around from the front on the opposite side, and you can clearly see the curve of the back and the legs. The head can be deceiving because the dark spots resemble facial features but I think it's pretty much impossible for a baby to be looking up at this stage. Instead I think the head is actually tucked down in the normal fetal position and the bright spot on the face is the nose.

At this point kidneys, lungs, genitals and the gastrointestinal tract are all present and developing. Fingers and toes are becoming more defined. Bones are beginning to form in the arms and legs. Baby is just over an inch tall. And yet somehow I'm 7 lbs heavier, lol!

4 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Congrats.

Meghan said...

Congrats Kim, that's wonderful!

Steve and Sara said...

OH KIM!!!! That's is SO exciting! I'm so happy for you. Isn't it amazing how fast everything develops? Don't you just want to buy a ultrasound machine so you can stare at it all day long? I love how big their heads are at this stage. I'm glad you are starting to feel better.

2nd trimester is the best! You start getting your energy back and that's when you get to feel your little baby move and kick. Anytime you start feeling a muscle twitch that's most likely your baby moving. It's so cool. At first I didnt' realize that was the baby, but when they get stronger then you realize you had been feeling them for awhile. I think I felt Lee at 17-18 weeks along, so you don't have far to go.

February will be here before you know it. Steph said she gave you the book with the "graphic" pictures in it, isn't it neat? I was so obsessed with that book ;)

Sorry this has turned into a book. Ok, hopefully you feel ok for tomorrow.

Steph Stanger said...

What!?!? Your Pregnant!?

Just Kidding. Malachy is really excited for you. He randomly brings it up.