Friday, July 23, 2010

An Oasis in the Desert


Summer in the Mojave Desert gets old fast. I have to go out to get the mail at night because during the day the hot air stings my nose. The cats don't scratch at the door anymore because the cement floor of the balcony scorches their paws. And if I don't water my plants at night before bed it takes them all of one day to start curling up and drying out.

So to be able to get in the car and drive 30 minutes to a place that is a good 20 degrees cooler feels like a miracle! Mt. Charleston is a favorite destination for locals for that very reason, and I made it out there for the first time last week when the Stangers were in town.

Not only is it cooler, it's gorgeous and shady and smells like pine heaven! It made me feel like I was back in the Appalachians on vacation...and it's practically in our backyard! Just one more reason that I have fallen in love with Las Vegas.



No comments: