Saturday, July 03, 2010

Reading...


Steph lent me her copy of Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years (because it hasn't come out in paperback yet and I'm cheap like that :) i'm only half way into it so far but I think it's good, at least as good as Blue Like Jazz and maybe better. Here are some of the bits I copied into my journal:

I've wondered...if one of the reasons we fail to acknowledge the brilliance of live is that we don't want the responsibility inherent in the acknowledgement. We don't want to be characters in a story because characters have to move and breathe and face conflict with courage. And if life isn't remarkable, then we don't have to do any of that; we can be unwilling victims rather than grateful participants.

If the point of live is the same as the point of a story, the point of life is character transformation.

I admitted something other than me was showing a better way, and when I did this I realized the Voice, the Writer who was not me, was trying to make a better story, a more meaningful series of experiences I could live through.

...when you are a better character your story gets better.

No comments: