Monday, February 21, 2011

One Thousand Gifts


I am reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, and it is one of those books in which you just can't stop highlighting things. Here are a couple of my favorites:

"I have just one word. A word to seize and haul up out of a terminal nightmare, a word for fearless dying, for saved, fully healed living, a word that works the miracle that heals the soul and raises the very dead to life...Eucharisteo."

"There is a way to live the big of giving thanks in all things. It is this: to give thanks in this one small thing. The moments will add up."

"Thanksgiving creates abundance; and the miracle of multiplying happens when I give thanks - take the just one loaf, say it is enough, and give thanks - and He miraculously makes it more than enough."

"I know there is poor and hideous suffering, and I've seen the hungry and the guns that go to war. I have lived pain, and my life can tell: I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks for early light dappled through leaves and the heavy perfume of wild roses in early July and the song of crickets on humid nights and the rivers that run and the stars that rise and the rain that falls and all the good things that a good God gives. Why would the world need more anger, more outrage? How does it save the world to reject unabashed joy when it is joy that saves us?"

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I was being lazy and wanted to post Beth Moore's poem on pride without having to flip through my book, so I did a quick google search to find her poem on one of your posts! So happy that I did :)You're the 2nd or 3rd person mentioning this book by Ann Voskamp, so I guess I better check it out! Thank you for sharing an excerpt of it, my interest is further peaked! Blessings!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Hi Heidi! Thanks for stopping by the blog! The book is lovely and challenging, I think you will be glad you got it!

andy said...

"an attitude of gratitude" is key to happiness. I'm glad you have it. I tell your mother at least every couple of days"we're the luckiest people"

Then it's natural to thank God which is the nicest kind of prayer.

Andy said...

PS I like the reference to the eucharist. As a fallen away (or, actually, tossed out) Roman Catholic my only regret has been my separation fronm the blessed sacrament, the sense of oneness with Christ. Wheww!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Hi Dad! Eucharisteo actually means "to give thanks." The name of the sacrament comes from "While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.'" I never knew that before!

Crystal Starr said...

Kim, did you know that I actually am internet/blog/forum/facebook friends with Ann? She used to be a Choosing Home mom and was there all the way when Emily go cancer. She is an amazing woman and I can't wait to read her book. So glad you like it.