Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Remy's 9 mo. Wellness Check

Remy turned 9 months over the weekend and on Tuesday I took him in for his 9 month check-up. His stats are as follows:
  • Height: 29.75" Percentile: 90%
  • Weight: 18lbs Percentile: 10%
  • Head Circ.: 45.25cm Percentile: 50%
Did you choke on your coffee? Because if I'd been drinking coffee when the doctor told me those numbers I would have choked on it. Instead I just felt like I had been punched in the gut.

Remy's weight has been an issue since his 6 month appointment where we found out that even though he was quite tall, he was only in the 30th percentile for weight. I thought maybe feeding on a schedule was the problem since I had noticed that he seemed to prefer smaller, more frequent meals.

I decided at that point that I was going to go from feeding on a schedule to feeding on demand, and that he would have access to a bottle pretty much all day long (which has resulted in me washing a lot of unfinished formula down the drain!) In addition, of course, he has also been eating a serving of cereal, a serving of baby food, and a snack every day.

Well, apparently that has not worked out so well.

The doctor was very calm about the situation and said that it is normal to see a dip at this stage because the baby has recently become mobile and is burning many more calories than he used to. He recommended just adding more solids, but didn't say how much more...

So my new plan is one bowl of cereal, two jars of baby food, one serving of cut up fruit, and 1-2 cookies in addition to regular formula feedings (back on a schedule.) I'm also going to start letting him taste our food, at least the healthier stuff - I'll keep him away from Hamburger Helper and Chef Boyardee for now ;)

Any tips from the parents out there are welcome!

FEEEED MEEE!

5 comments:

The Skibbens said...

He is so cute! Someone told me that when babies are growing that they're bodies can only focus on one thing at a time, so if they excel in one area they may fall behind in another, but will eventually catch up. It sounds like you feed him enough, he is just really tall =) I wouldn't worry too much. He looks healthy to me and if your doctor wasn't worried, then that is a great sign. because they *will* tell you if it is something to be concerned about.

Walker Fam said...

I think it is a parent's full-time job to worry. We find all sorts of things to worry about, and wonder if all sorts of things are problems whether they are problems or not.

Currently, we are worried that Karis overly favors her right side, and we are worried that Karis is not wanting to eat her food like she usually does.

We also worry when she is in the 90th percentile in weight but only like the 70th in height. We dont want to doom her to be overweight like me!

THankfully, we have an awesome pediatrician who listens to our concerns and validates them, but always tells us that our daughter is "just perfect". That we are doing a "perfect" job, and to not worry. We like him a lot.

He also updates us on the latest research, such as pushing veggies first, then fruit, then cereals. Or how this or that theory has been proven or disproven. Doesnt hurt that he is also maybe 5 years older than we are.

I think if you have to worry, your pediatrician will tell you to worry.

Crystal Starr said...

Emily has always been in the 5th percentile for her weight. Look at you and Steph, you guys are both really small and Ross is a pretty small guy too. It doesn't make it any less stressful and make you worry less but I just wanted to share with you that it just might be in his genes. Love you!!

A good friend sent this to me after I sent out my e-mail about Emily. This sort of stuff used to just make me feel mad for some reason. How can I NOT worry about my child!!? This is what he wrote.

"Question: "What does the Bible say about worry?"

Answer: The Bible clearly teaches that Christians are not to worry. In Philippians 4:6, we are commanded, “Do not be anxious [do not worry] about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” In this Scripture, we learn that we should bring all of our needs and concerns to God in prayer rather than worry about them. Jesus encourages us to avoid worrying about our physical needs like clothing and food. Jesus assures us that our heavenly Father will take care of all our needs (Matthew 6:25-34). Therefore, we have no need to worry about anything.

Since worrying should not be a part of a believer's life, how does one overcome worry? In 1 Peter 5:7, we are instructed to “cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” God does not want us to carry around the weight of problems and burdens. In this verse, God is telling us to give Him all of our worries and concerns. Why does God want to take on our problems? The Bible says it is because He cares for us. God is concerned about everything that happens to us. No worry is too big or too small for His attention. When we give God our problems, He promises to give us the peace which transcends all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

Of course, for those who do not know the Savior, worry and anxiety will be part of life. But to those who have given their lives to Him, Jesus promised, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30)."

I'm still worring about Emily and the large lymph node sticking out of my neck but instead of just dwelling in it, I printed out a ton of scripture for me to pull out and pray over when ever I feel like I'm slipping into dispare, than I just pull out some Xanax!!!

It's all easier said than done and there is nothing wrong with being tempted to worry for feel scared. It's just what we do with it. I'm choosing to give it to the Lord to worry about it and just be as proactive as I can.

Come Tuesday and the waiting game that follows I might have to be on my knees crying with Father as we wait to hear what they have to say. I am SO scared, but I'm trying to just lean on God and be thankful for these beautiful babies that He blessed me with. It's so hard not to go into worry and obsession mode though.

I say all of this only to help bring comfort or remind you of truth. I do realize that a lot of times it's the last think people want to hear. I love you do, and as your sister-in-Christ, I just want to encourage you and love you the way that I can and empower you with God's truth and love.

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Thanks friends! He is loving getting more solids and I am feeling positive!

Andy said...

Hi Kim,

you were a long slender baby. Ross probably was too. Remy looks perfect to me.