So this is what Malachy's painting looked like when I got to work on it this afternoon. This photo was taken using some of our finest winter daylight, which is why it looks a bit bluish.
This is what the painting looks like right now after hours of pain-in-the-ass work. And except for the fact that the light source is a yellow lightbulb instead of some daylight, it hardly looks any different! I spent almost the entire time working on the shadow on his left cheek and now he looks like he's got a sunburn! Oh well, there is always tomorrow.
Here's a close-up of my problem area. I had to completely overhaul this area, not once, but twice! The first time I was almost finished when I noticed a spot of water on the canvas and when I went to wipe it away it took of all the new paint underneath it. So I scrambled to patch the little hole of paint, but the work was still so wet that my brush just made the hole even bigger! So I had to take a break and then come back and start over from scratch! I'm hoping that tomorrow I can tone down some of the redness, fix that jowely thing and get to work on the hair.