Wednesday, May 06, 2009

From the Bent Tip of a Grass Blade

The sensation of writing a book is the sensation of spinning, blinded by love and daring. It is the sensation of rearing and peering from the bent tip of a grass blade, looking for a route. -Annie Dillard
That is what painting feels like too. Sometimes getting to it feels like going to work, but once you start it is like nothing else. Even when it's going awfully, and you feel like such a hack, you are under its spell and the world is a million miles away. When I say "it" I mean the act of painting, not the canvas in front of you, which is just the road under your feet. Or the dance floor, if things are going well ;)

It's been a long time since I did so many paintings in a row. I love looking over and seeing them stacked against the wall next to my desk. It reminds me of the old days - painting in the basement of the Elgin house, trading tips with painters on the Wet Canvas boards, and checking eBay auctions every five minutes.

I hope I can keep up the pace for the next couple of weeks. Then Ross and I will be heading to Raleigh for a visit. I can't wait!

No comments: