Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday

Our dryer has conked out again. Second time this week. Grrrr. Oh well, if I'm not doing laundry I have more time for the garden.

Today was an awesome day for gardening - sunny, breezy, mid 60s (((happy sigh))).

I've been holding off on planting my peppers (part caution, part separation anxiety) but they are practically bursting out of their tray, so I decided it was time to stick 'em in the ground. About 60 of the original 72 survived but (per the advice that newbie gardeners should start small) our garden is tiny, so I was only able to transplant 16 plants; 8 bell peppers, 4 banana peppers, and 4 hot peppers. We also have a tomato plant we picked up at Walmart.


Now that the peppers have left the nest I'm wondering what I should do next! I have seed packets for marigolds, basil, onions, and cucumbers, but only a few pots, and we are going on vacation next week so I wouldn't be able to keep a close eye on them. I'm thinking I'll probably do the marigolds because they are supposed to be hardy, right? I can just stick them in my remaining pots, set them out in the backyard and let nature take its course.

The flowers are doing so-so. While the irises are already way better off than last year, the first one bloomed during a downpour and looks like wet tissue paper!


That greenish/red plant next to the irises is my rose bush and it is also doing better than last year. Little buds are starting to appear. The tulips and daffodils are finished with for the season and I'm thinking about planting some hostas or decorative grass between them because that spot is going to look pretty sad soon without them.

The forget-me-nots are doing awesome! The lavender, not so much. Out of the 50 or so lavender, I have only 5 or 6 left and they aren't growing at all :( I've also got 5 impatiens left and they are barely growing. Peonies are doing great. Weeding out the clover really has made a big difference this year. The lilies and violets have never seemed to need any help and are growing strong.




Alright, enough with gardening, time to paint!!!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

You've had some trouble with rabbits eating things, right? Marigolds are supposed to keep them at bay, so maybe that should be the next seedlings you grow.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Good point! And they are prettier marigold's than usual, they're called eskimo marigolds and they look kinda like white pom poms.

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Gonna go try to get some netting to make a little fence today so that those bulb stealing critters don't eat my veggies as well!

janettsue said...

Piper looks like she is in the jungle. Looking forwatd to watching your garden grow since I don't have one of my own.