Friday, April 02, 2010

34 Weeks Pregnant

34 weeks! According to my book, my uterus is 500-1000x the size it was before I got pregnant! The book also says I should fill a backpack with all the weight I've gained (35 lbs) and strap it on to Ross's front so that he can experience what I'm going through. I like that idea, but someone should think of a way for husbands to experience the rest of the fun. You know - the heartburn, back aches, swollen ankles, pee-pee issues, leaking nipples, skin tags, stretch marks and sleepless nights! Just for a day ;P

I worked on my birth plan this week using a handy online tool. I'm not sure how seriously doctors take those things, but I wanted to have at least thought about the different options so that when it comes time to make decisions I am not caught totally off guard. This may change by the big day, but here's what I've come up with so far:
  • I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
  • I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
  • I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
  • I would like to wear my glasses it all times when conscious.
  • I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless required by the condition of my baby.
  • I do not want an internal monitor unless my baby has shown some sign of distress.
  • If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
  • I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods before Pitocin is administered.
  • I would like to have a walking epidural.
  • Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
  • If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
  • I would like my husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
  • I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for my baby's safety.
  • I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
  • I would like local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.
  • I would like to hold the baby for at least 15 minutes before he is photographed, examined, etc.
  • I would like to have my baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
  • If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany the baby at all times.
  • I would like a private room, if available.
  • I would like my baby with me during the day but in the nursery at night.
  • I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
  • I would like my baby to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.
  • I would like to take still photographs during labor and birth.
So that's it so far. Things I'm still not sure about are whether I would like Pitocin after delivery to help expel the placenta and stop bleeding and whether I want to try to breast feed in the hospital or just go straight to pumping... But the website I used saves the plan and I can go back and change it as much as I want over the next few weeks.

I had my first appointment with my new OB on Wednesday. It was a huge practice with a big staff and lots of fancy new equipment. My doctor seemed a little youngish, but I'm trying not to be ageist. I will be going in every week now so hopefully any uncertainty I have about this new doctor will be gone by the time I go into labor. Oddly, they moved my due date to May 8th, based on my LMP. Whatever...I'm still going to be thinking May 13th and I certainly won't let them try to talk me into inducing if I go past the 8th date.

Overall, the doctor's appointment was pretty routine. My uterus is measuring right on track. They insisted on doing a pap smear which was kind of annoying but it has been more than a year so ok. After looking at my chart the doctor also said my thyroid levels were a little wonky at the time of my last blood draw, so they ordered more of those. I also asked about my fibroids and he said that we will do an ultrasound to check on my them in about two weeks. Yay, I'm so happy I'll get to see Remy again and check on his position!

Of course, at this stage it's pretty easy for me to tell what his position is and it's still transverse. All I have to do is run my hands down my sides and I can usually feel his head on one side and his bony little bottom or his feet on the other side. He occasionally goes exploring, but never stays for long. At least I don't get kicked in the lungs like some women have described!

The book I mentioned earlier (Great Expectations by Sandy & Marcie Jones) also says that I should have the car seat installed and begin packing my hospital bag this week. Seriously? My due date is more than a month away and then I might even go late! Well, the car seat is not an option because we don't have one yet and we probably won't buy one until the end of April when we can get a discount (that's how we roll, people) but I can at least make a list of what I want to pack in my hospital bag. I want to feel like I'm on track, but I also want to have something to do to keep my from going crazy in the loooong final weeks!

5 comments:

Andy said...

Wow, Kim, good planning. Is Ross impressed? I am.

Andy said...

PS Pam had her baby on The Office.
Almost everything went fine.

Friar Tuck said...

we will be at thirty weeks on Easter. Jennifer is on best rest from here on out. If you get to 40 weeks, and we go in at 36, we could be close to the same time with our children being born

Steph said...

WOW Kim! Nice job, sounds like a good plan! I still can't believe this is real! YAY Remy! So, your new doctor is a man? Will he be delivering or is it who ever is on call that day? I'm so excited that we are getting closer. This also means I get to see you in a little over a month!

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Hi Clint! I feel so bad for Jennifer, I hope the next 6 weeks go buy as quickly as possible for her! That would be so fun if our little ones came around the same time!

Steph, he is a man - my first male OB/GYN. I'm such an open minded person all of a sudden :P I think the plan is for him to deliver because I'm scheduled to meet with his nurses over the next month, but none of the other doctors at the practice.

Hi Dad! I saw that episode and it was weird, I was sitting there trying not to cry the whole time, lol!