Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Decade of Fibromyalgia

This September will be the ten year anniversary of the car accident that basically pulled the trigger on my Fibromyalgia. I have been thinking about it a lot lately, probably because of the weather and the effect it has on my body, and here is a quote by Glennon at the wonderful blog, Momastery, that pretty much sums up how I feel: 
I know that for lots of people, declaring war on disease and hating its guts is the best approach. It lights a fire under their precious bottoms and helps them Carry On, Warrior. But that approach, that FIGHT approach doesn’t work for me. 
Ekhart Tolle said that when we declare war against anything, that other thing grows bigger and stronger. It fights back harder. I don’t really get that, I just believe it to be true somehow. And so I don’t want to be at war with my Lyme or my parasite. They will go when they have taught me whatever the hell they are here to teach me. So far, they have taught me that life is not about doing, but being. They have taught me deep compassion for people in all different types of pain. They have taught me to savor healthy days. They have taught me that I am surrounded by people who will take care of me. They have taught me gratitude. Not too shabby. I hope they’re done teaching me soon, but I know I’ve become better since the wise little bastards have arrived.
I am so thankful for how much I have grown since that car accident in September 2002 and overwhelmed by the day-by-day grace that has made my life everything I feared to hope it could be. And if the next ten years turn out to be as amazing as the last ten years, I will be laughing my ass off at Fibromyalgia.

No comments: