Monday, June 06, 2005

Parting Shot

My sincere, heart-felt thanks to Scott for giving me a couple of V.O.L. cd's I didn'thave. This one's off Blister Soul and it's my new official blog song. So memorize it, we'll be singing it at the pep rally.

Parting Shot


words of wisdom,
quotable quotes
reader's digest sayings
for those losing hope
why do i feel so mocked
by the hands of the clock?
well anchor me down
to the solid rock

i want to leave you with something
but i almost forgot
was it a closing statement
or a parting shot?

well you lie on the flowers
hair in the wind
i've twisted it all
with original sin
there's a knowledge i traded
a long time ago
well i bartered it off
for these rags i call clothes
i learned how to fake it
and remake it on cue
but i swear i never stopped
needing you

there's a question forming
out here in the dark
in the heavy air
all around my heart
now laden with consequence
chain link fence
and shot through with
all manner of lies
i've been trapped in
and caught

and the world like a tempest
in your ears doth roar
and the flesh wants to dress up
and play your whore
and the devil wants to cast
all manner of doubt
on the real lover with the key
dying to let you out
from the bars that you fashioned
with your stolen clout

well i may be confused
but i'll play my hunch
did it feel like a kiss
or a counter-punch?

evening is closing
and the kid drones on and on and on
well get out your car keys
i hope this is his last song
wait, it's bigger than life
it is gracious and grand
something a child
readily understands

hey you know i sure could
use a new suit of clothes
see i'm gone all threadbare
and my shoes are worn
now the flowers are growing
right out of these bones
and i hear the trumpet sounding
like louis armstrong
when the great divorce happens
hide me in your song
though i don't deserve it
and i don't belong

i want to leave you with something
will you take it to heart
are you a closing statement
or a parting shot?

2 comments:

Scott said...

I like Skin off of that album.

Anonymous said...

Me too! Skin is on their best of album so I already new that one, and it is one of my all time favorites. Back when I used to spend all day on the message boards at Wet Canvas I used a line from that song as my signature.